Friday, March 6, 2009

Just for fun...

I've been seeing several references to yarn/knitters in the "muggle" world lately that I've found humorus (if not somewhat insulting! LOL) and I thought I would share.
Exhibit A:





Yarn. The very OPPOSITE of "cool trucks". At least that's what Ford thinks.

Exhibit B:



Yoplait also seems to think people who knit are prone to compulsiveness (shifty movements, nervous laugh from knitter). I personally can't say they are too off the mark here (at least in my case LOL).

Exhibit C:



I received this sales flyer from JoAnn's Fabric store in the mail. This, my friends, is why we buy indie. I could go on about how horrified I was when I got this- it was almost like receiving hate mail. I won't. Instead, I want you to pray for that poor child in the photo. Her parents thought it would be ok to leave little Sally Ann in the care of her "eccentric" Aunt Eloise for the week. Eloise didn't have any children of her own after all, and wouldn't it be good for Sally Ann to learn to knit?
Sally isn't smiling because she's having fun. She has learned to breath through her mouth because Aunt Eloise's house smells overwhelmingly like moth balls and cat pee.


Exhibit D:


Our final photo comes from the Ace of Cakes episode where they make a knitting basket cake for a woman's 90th birthday party.
Although, they did spend a lot of time making the cake (and it turned out okay- though a bit messy and garish) if someone were to knit her a gift I can guarantee it would take MUCH longer than making this cake did. Am I right? So, instead of celebrating this knitter's accomplishments- the cake got more attention than the nice woman (and her decades of productive knitting) did, which I felt a little sad about.

We're so misunderstood.

Anyway, I hope your weekend is fun-filled, and if I catch you at JoAnn's, I'll post your pic here too. (just kidding!)

10 comments:

idyll hands said...

Oh man - I've seen the Yoplait commercial and actually kind of like it. I always knit more when I'm trying to lose weight - can't eat if your hands are busy... right? :)

I also kind of like the truck commercial - knitters are so agile that they don't need the side step up thingymabob like these manly men do. We're graceful and can remove our cargo without, thankyouverymuch! :)

KT said...

I think Ford needs to come with me the next time I go to Webs... I occasionally need to haul quite a lot of yarn around, and it may not be as heavy as, say, buckets of paint, but it is bulky! :)

PhatLady said...

I agree with you KT.
The guy who made that Ford commercial, obviously has not attended a major fiber event, i.e. Stitches, Maryland Sheep and Wool, etc etc etc. and seen people trying to stuff their vehicles with their loot!

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

That is so funny! Thanks for compiling all the "evidence"!

orangefaeriedust said...

I was also upset about that Joann ad, but mainly because she's trying to teach her to knit with HORRIBLE yarn (I mean seriously have you ever tried to knit with the stuff) - not to mention 4 strands of it! on HUGE needles. It's fiddly enough to try to hold needles for the first time, much less needles that hardly fit in your little-girl hands - plus to manage 4 skeins of the crappiest yarn ever....wow - I don't think she'll be a candidate for a knitting addiction after that experience. (ps - you are not the first to hear this rant, my husband got an earful right after I saw this in the mail - he took it very well though) :)

Lydia said...

Sadly, not the most disturbing JoAnn's ad I've seen... seriously, some of those girls they put on the cover have some serious issues. I forget the details, but there was on involving a girl knitting and behind her in her room was just an explosion of hideous crafts... so scary.

And I love that Yoplait commercial. I laughed so hard the first time I saw it I nearly peed. I love that people think that those kinds of knitters are a minority... little do they know...

Alpaca Granny said...

Thanks for sharing. Tooo funny.
Maple

DMCA said...

Okay, I don't know if Ford knows this but 150 lbs of yarn is still 150 lbs regardless. And believe me, having picked up 20-30 lb boxes of yarn, I'd want the steps to the cargo box too.

Dumbasses.

Cara said...

Ford is right about one thing: it's a no-brainer. The commercial, that is.

Laura said...

The truck commercial cracks me up every time I see it because I actually use a pickup truck to transport yarn!!! I'm a dyer and so I am constantly hauling around huge boxes (50+ lb per box) of yarn. Kelly's truck doesn't have a little step, but it sure would be helpful!