Thursday, February 5, 2009

Whirligig Yarns (and fiber too!)











Which of you got a delicious tasting of Whirligig Yarns in their January box?
I'm going to cut right to the chase here: Nicole is awesome.
To prove that point, I will copy and paste her shop profile here and make a few comments about it.
"My name is Nicole and I live with my husband and our Evil Cat of Perpetual Badness in a little apartment by a creek in Boulder, CO. I picked up a spindle while on my honeymoon in Colonial Williamsburg in 2006, and that was the beginning of the obsession/downfall. :) Since that time I have also acquired a wheel--an Ashford Kiwi named Indigo Montoya--and have taken several classes with the great spinner Maggie Casey. I have also begun to weave, dye my own fiber, and am really loving learning to process wool from scratch. I make every attempt to obtain fiber from local or humane farms...animal-friendly fibers are very important to me, as I can't bear to think of sheep and other animals in factory-farm situations. My goal for 2008 is to be 100% sourced by rescue, humane, and/or local farms. My background is in anthropology, so I am fascinated with the history, variations, and cultural significance of spinning around the world. Fiber arts are so important to the basic fabric of human society, and I am proud to be included in the ranks of fiber artists throughout history. One of my favorite things to do is spin yarn sitting by the creek with my neighbors, a scene that has been replicated countless times through the ages."
First, and foremost: she named her wheel Inigo Montoya. I pity the foo who has not memorized The Princess Bride by now, because it is a part of our modern lexicon and you will not be able to function in post- Baby Boom America with out this knowledge.
Secondly, Nicole is sourcing humane fiber for all of her products and we love her for that.
Last but not least, 5% of all Whirligig Yarns contributions are invested in http://www.kiva.org/ which is an amazing way for people to invest in people ( I highly recommend checking into this for yourselves!).
I think I have made my case for the fact that Nicole is awesome- anyone wanna disagree? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Thank you so much for your handspun yarns and rolag contributions Nicole! We so look forward to your next appearance in Phat Fiber!








2 comments:

DMCA said...

oooooh. I love those yarns. And what's not to love about anything named Indigo Montoya. (I love the Princess Bride)

Also, I think I have her cats twin, we refer to her as Princess Catface of Naughtiness.

Turtle said...

lol, so many nicies!